Success comes from making good choices about what to do and what NOT to do. Often our biggest breakthroughs occur when we decide to stop doing something. So here’s something we can all put on our Don’t Do List that will change our lives positively forever: STOP discussing the past!
It’s history. Its only value is in what you can learn to help you make better decisions in the present.
Two Questions to Ask When You’re Living In The Past
- Is this an unresolved issue? If so, IDS™ (Identify, Discuss, and Solve) it. Identify the underlying root cause of the issue, discuss the possible ways to resolve it, and then solve it. Define the actions you or other individuals will take to eliminate the issue forever. It’s done. Now you can quit wasting a whole lot of time and emotional energy talking about and rehashing it.
- Is this something that worked in the past that has relevance for today? Great! If you aren’t presently capitalizing on it, decide how to best incorporate whatever it is into your present:
– Add steps in your processes that make it part of how you do what you do going forward.
– Define a goal in your 1-Year Plan and/or a Rock to make that good thing from your past part of your present reality.
Once you properly deal with whatever there is from your past, you can focus all your discussions on your present and future. Put “living in the past” on your Don’t Do List today, follow the simple steps above, and I promise you’ll experience a much better present.
- Download the Issues Solving Track™ to learn how to Identify, Discuss, and Solve issues – for good!
- Download a free copy of the eBook Decide! to learn how to make better and faster decisions.